Favors St. Josemaria Granted Me 6/26/2007 01:58:00 PM

Today is the feast day of St. Josemaria Escriva de Balaguer, the founder of Opus Dei. In his honor, I thought of mentioning in this post some favors he has granted me throughout the past 8 years that I have had devotion to him.
~~<@>~~<@>~~<@>~~<@>~~<@>~~<@>~~
The very first favor St. Josemaria granted me involved my participation in a Rural Service Project. It was to be at a remote barangay of a province a long way off from Cebu. To go, I needed two things: P800.00 for the two-way ferry boat fare (all other expenses were shouldered by donations) and my mother's permission. The latter was harder to get than the former, as my mother is really strict (you can ask all my cousins who once lived with us then moved out because they couldn't take her rules...) and this would be the first time I would be away from home for longer than a weekend (other times were all school-related field trips for my biology subjects). I should also mention that this at a time that cellphones were not yet all the rage, so there was absolutely no way for my mother to communicate with me while I was gone. Then I asked for money, she told me she couldn't give me any, so I entrusted my chance of going to St. Josemaria's intercession. A day or so later, one of the tenants of our family owned apartment paid the rent, and my mother also gave me permission.
One of my cousins remarked upon learning of my trip remarked, "What?! She really let you go?!" so I consider the whole thing a big favor.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Back in my third year of college studies, I was chosen to represent my university in an interschool science quiz contest in our city. It was held at a local mall with a lot of people around, so I was quite nervous. Before going on stage, I quickly said the prayer card of then Blessed Josemaria, just asking for guidance, not anything specific at all. I was amazed when I got the first prize! Afterwards, I immediately went to a nearby bookstore and purchased a 3-in-one copy of The Way, Furrow and The Forge which, coincidentally, was on sale. I bought it using part of my prize money. I still have that same copy with me today, and I often use it for my personal prayer.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
While I was a medical student, I would always pray to St. Josemaria to get me a jeepney ride. A few minutes after I finish saying a prayer card, I always get a ride to school, later on to the hospital, for my duties. I have never been late even during rush hour traffic.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Click here for the link to the prayer card of St. Josemaria in English.

0 other thoughts: